Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Project 365 - Day 6 Footprints, A Series


Ok...I've been giving this whole initiative WAY too much thought. I'm even dreaming about what to take pictures of. Weird, eh?

Anyway, todays shot is the first in what is going to be a series. Not a consecutive series but one I'll come back to through the year. Footprints. When I was in my mid 20's and working a corporate job, I was sent to a leadership training that I loved. It wasn't about how to manage but really about understanding what motivated me and understanding our own selves and styles. Very touchy feely and very cool.

I remember as one of the exercises I was asked to make a piece of art/collage that represented me, my life, my aspirations. I struggled with it a lot as I flipped through the magazines. Other people got right into theirs, knowing exactly what to do since their lives were already settled. I felt I was just at a stepping point in my life. I was still single and was completely dedicated to my company but knew that one day I wanted to be a happily married SAHM. I felt conflicted.

Then I realized...it was a stepping stone. Where I was at that time was exactly where I wanted to be then but not where I wanted to be or would be down that path of life. So, my theme became "footprints". I cut out pics of hiking books on top of a mountain, heels, etc. Then, on top of those things, I laid pictures of feet at a wedding, baby feet, etc. I felt really comfortable with the whole thing. It even, to me, tied in my religion since I've always loved the poem "Footprints in the Sand" (see below).

So, as I was donning my Moon Boot slippers this morning and thinking about what my picture would be, my two at-home kids kept demanding my attention and it clicked....those little footprints. What I'd always wanted is here...demanding my attention.

There's that saying about people wearing different "masks" in their life. I've always believed that I don't do that...I am the same person no matter who I'm with or what I'm doing. I just don't know how to wear masks. I do, however, know how to wear different shoes. Today those shoes are Moon Boot Slippers and they're making sure I look after four of the most gorgeous little footprints all day.


Footprints

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

Mary Stevenson

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE little toes. My favorite shot so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that this is my favorite poem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE this shot and the poem that goes with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the little toes comments! This one needs to be enlarged and hung on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll be happy to know that a 30X40 canvas of this is in the works and will be hanging over my fireplace tomorrow! Can't wait! Ultimately it will probably end up downstairs in the studio but for now it'll be part of the family.

    ReplyDelete