Friday, February 26, 2010

Fix-It Friday...#45

It's Fix-It Friday again!

Today's photo has a gorgeous sky and I love the angle (I shoot a lot in angles)!  Unfortunately, the little girl is very shaded (darn sun!).   Again, I didn't peek at any of the other submissions but I did try to provide what the photographer was looking as she stated below:

"My daughter is standing in our front garden - I was laying down. It was a beautiful day, but her face was in full shade & looks a bit blurry. She looks too dull against the blue sky. I'd like to be able to pull the whole thing up and make her pop out without losing the beauty of that blue sky." 


Here is the original:






And here is my edit:






To get this, I worked exclusively in Photoshop CS2 and used a lot of layers and masking.  I started by increasing the saturation of her dress, then softened her skin using Dust and Scratches to lessen the look of the bumps on her elbows.  I then brightened her face and played with the layer opacity until it looked ok to me.  By brightening, you lose some contrast and detail and the girl was already a bit blurry so I added a layer of sharpening and a high pass overlay to help define her a bit more.  I also brightened and sharpened just her eyes a bit more.  I added some overall saturation, boosted the curves, and cropped.   Voila! My version.


I'd love to hear what you think!!!




To see more edits or try it yourself, head on over to:

6 comments:

  1. nice work I like the way you brighter her face ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on this edit and thanks for the details on what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool edit, thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really like your crop, and your colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by and returned the love, I also would like to thank you for the feedback; I didn't have any idea that the link wasn't working properly. ;D

    ReplyDelete