Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Project 365 - Day 138. Kiss YOUR Brain | Hartland Children's Photography

Today was one of those rare days that I got to go into the kids' school.  I LOVE having a big family but one of the definite drawbacks is that I'm not able to be as involved with Corey's and Lilly's activities/classes as I would like to be.  But when I get asked to take photos, well I can't say no to that!   So, today with the help of a great friend and neighbor who watched the little girls, I was able to go in and take some quick snaps of a couple of the Kindergarten classes with their wonderful teachers.

After we finished, Lilly asked if I would stay a bit longer so I did.  I sat down and listened to several of the kids read their Journal entries for the day.  What smart kids!!  Next they talked about word similarities like...if we know how to spell "spot" then we know how to spell "plot".  Next, they had a little dance (as you do in the middle of the day) and then went on the internet to find a recipe for the bread they were about to make.  

I was in awe.  Seriously...the internet wasn't even a vision when I was in Kindergarten and now these kids watch on the Smart Board as Mrs. Atilano Google Searches with their help.  Amazing!   What was most impressive to me though??   Mrs. Atilano.  She has a way of talking to those kids that is so sweet and respectful.  When reviewing their journals, she would find a word that the kids attempted and ask the class what sounds they were using.  Frequently the word was misspelled but she had an awesome way of making it a learning while congratulating them on their efforts because they picked another sound that would have worked.   Those kids have learned so much this year and not the least of which is confidence.

Another great thing Mrs. Atilano does is tell the kids to "kiss your brain" when they do something good.  They then kiss their finger and touch it to their forehead.  It's adorable!   Well, Mrs. Atilano...I'm your biggest fan and I think you should DEFINITELY Kiss Your Brain!  

2 comments:

  1. It is not often you get to hear how well you are doing. Kudos to this parent who not only recognized but publicized! I love it! Great job Mrs. Atilano :D ... you are instilling memories that will last a lifetime. ~ Teri

    ReplyDelete